B. Requests for 5-4-9 Plan
1. Each employee desiring to work under a 5-4-9 plan should submit, on a form designated by management, a written request to their supervisor for a decision. The Employer will act upon these requests as soon as possible, but in no case later than thirty (30) days following the requesting period. Employees already established in a 5-4-9 schedule will not be required to file a new request for each new requesting period.
2. Employees covered by this appendix will have a one (1) month request period beginning two (2) months before the start of the next 5-4-9 scheduled period (i.e., February is the employee's request period for the April through September 5-4-9 schedule; August for the period October through March). The Employer will make a decision in the month following the request period (i.e., March or September).
3. All new employees or re-hires will be given the opportunity of requesting to participate in the CWS plan.
4. Once operational needs are taken care of, any other conflicts in scheduling that result will be resolved in favor of the employee with the earliest service computation date.
5. Employees who wish to terminate their participation in the 5-4-9 schedule may do so at the beginning of any pay period, after notifying their supervisor at least one (1) week in advance. Hardship situations will be handled on an exception basis by management.
6. Employees requesting a change to their day off under a 5-4-9 schedule may only make such changes at the semiannual requesting period. Conflicts in scheduling that involve more requests for a particular day off than can be accommodated will be handled in accordance with the provision of subsection 3 above. Hardship situations will be handled on an exception basis by management.
7. A new six (6) month 5-4-9 schedule will always begin the first day of the first full pay period of the first month of the new 5-4-9 schedule.
C. CWS Schedule and Holidays
In the event a Federal holiday falls on the day an employee would otherwise be off-duty under the 5-4-9 schedule, the employee will have the day off as follows:
1. If the holiday is Friday, the employee will automatically be off-duty on Thursday.