three (3) consecutive days or more will not be required to furnish a physician's certificate on a continuing basis if the employee: (1) is not on leave restriction and (2) provides, if requested, an updated valid medical certificate every six months which clearly states the continuing need for periodic absences.
4. In the event a medical certificate is necessary, the completion of the reverse side of the SF-71 shall normally be considered sufficient.
5. Employees who are incapacitated for duty due to illness/disability will provide initial notice for sick leave and the anticipated return to duty date. Employees will not be unreasonably requested to provide continual notices regarding sick leave requirements unless their situation changes or abuse is suspected.
C. In individual cases, if there is evidence that an employee's leave pattern may indicate that an abuse of sick leave exists, the employee shall first be advised by an interview, which shall be recorded in the SF-7B file, of the reasons a medical certificate may be required for each subsequent absence or sick leave.
If the employee's leave pattern continues, the employee will be advised in writing as to whether an acceptable medical certificate may be required for each subsequent absence for which sick leave is requested.
The sick leave usage of all employees under sick leave restriction will be reviewed at least every six (6) months and a written decision to continue or lift the restrictions made; if the review shows significant improvement, the supervisor will lift the restriction.
D. Employees who are incapacitated for duty because of serious illness or disability may be advanced sick leave for up to 30 days. The employee will not be required to utilize any annual leave prior to utilizing the advanced sick leave. Sick leave will be advanced when the following required conditions have been satisfied:
1. The employee is serving under a career or career-conditional appointment.
2. The employee has a minimum of 1 year's Federal civilian service.
3. All available accumulated sick leave to his/her credit has been exhausted.
4. There is no expectation that the employee is contemplating separation by retirement or resignation.
5. A medical certificate substantiates that a serious illness or injury