Urban Growth in the Twentieth Century
- Each white dot indicates an urban area with a population of over a million.
- Each red square indicates an urban population of over five million.
- To stop the animation, click STOP.
- To resume, click RELOAD or REFRESH.
NOTE: Throughout this atlas, whenever I talk about the population of a
city, I am refering to the entire population cluster, not the legally defined
administrative unit that goes by the specific name.
- Selected Sources:
- Th. Brinkhoff: Principal Agglomerations and Cities of the World [http://www.citypopulation.de] 13.5.01
- Chandler, Tertius: 3000 years of urban growth (1974)
- 1991 Info. Please
to Table of Contents
Last updated July 2001
Copyright © 2001 Matthew White