William Harvey, Jr., and Margaret (Bell) Harvey
Early Settlers of Present-Day Mineral County, WV
Western Maryland Harvey descendants are much indebted to the late Marshall G. Brown for his excellent book Genealogy of the Harvey Family of Garrett County, Maryland (1974). The following information is excerpted from that book.
William Harvey, Jr., was born March 22, 1744, in Prince George's County, Maryland, son of William Harvey, Sr., and Statia. By 1764, he had moved with his parents to Frederick County (now Montgomery County), Maryland.
On September 19, 1770, he married Margaret Bell, who lived on Bennett Creek. She was born in April 1751. Their known children: Samuel Harvey (born 8/18/1770), Elijah Harvey (born 3/3/1772), Hezakiah Harvey (born 5/10/1774), Rezin Harvey (6/19/1778), Gazaway Harvey, and Zachariah Harvey.
The Harvey home became part of Montgomery County when it was formed from Frederick County in 1776. The county was named in honor of General Richard Montgomery, one of the first American generals to be killed in the American Revolution.
In 1778 the Maryland Assembly passed an act to prevent the spread of Toryism. The act required that an Oath of Fidelity to the State be taken on or before March 1, 1778 by all free males above the age of 18 who were not already engaged in military service. Severe penalties were inflicted upon those who failed to comply. Both William Harvey, Jr., and William Harvey, Sr., took the Oath and made their marks.
A 1783 statewide Maryland tax list named the father and son. William Harvey, Jr., owned two horses and five black cattle. The value of his real estate and personal property totaled 17 pounds 9 shillings, somewhat less than the average for those listed. William Harvey, Sr., owned property valued at 19 pounds.
On October 13, 1789, William Harvey, Jr., bought 44 acres of a huge tract of land called "Trouble Enough." This is the earliest deed we have been able to locate involving William Harvey, Jr. In this deed the junior is written out, which definitely distinguishes him from his father. They apparently lived quite near each other. "Trouble Enough" was located between Damascus and Clarksburg in Montgomery County.
Toward the end of the century the constant use of the soil for the cultivation of tobacco had depleted the soil to where it no longer yielded an increase. The population of Montgomery County decreased from 18,003 in 1790, to 15,058 in 1800. Montgomery land became a synonym for poverty. From 1790 on there was a constant stream of emigration from the county.
Today, tobacco is no longer extensively cultivated in Montgomery County. The general area where the Harveys lived is now devoted principally to residential use, with some dairy and beef farming still remaining. A very large county park called Bennett Regional Park occupies much of the area.
William Harvey, Jr., purchased his father's property on March 26, 1794. On this same day he resold his property to a James Sherlock for "one hundred and one pounds current money." In this deed William Harvey, Jr., signed his name with his mark (X). Why did he sell his property at this time? Did he desire to emigrate? One can only guess.
Sometime between 1794 and 1802, William Harvey, Jr., and his wife and at least four of his sons emigrated to Hampshire County, Virginia, now Mineral County, West Virginia. On September 10, 1802, he bought a 146 acre farm for "seventy-five pounds current money of Virginia." This farm was located on a ridge running north and south between Emory Creek and what is now a road extending south between Emoryville to the Northwestern Turnpike. Today, Emoryville is a small village of forty inhabitants, and is located about 3 miles south of Elk Garden, West Virginia.
In 1827 William Harvey, Jr., sold his farm to his son Elijah. By this time he was 83 years old. ...No further information has been obtained concerning him.
Walt Warnick's Western Maryland Family History Home Page. Inquiries about western Maryland Harvey families are welcome.